Thursday 26 July 2012

Justice (Deck of Lies book #1) by Jade Varden

Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)   Author:   Jade Varden
Published: December, 2011 
Pages: 194
Series:  Series #1 of the Deck of Lies
Ratings: 4/5                                                                                                                                

A House of Cards...

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day. 

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding. 

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet. 
I just hope I can survive the crash.

I’m going to admit, when I first received this book to review and reading from the description, it didn’t sound like a book I would normally buy. However, I am so glad Jade sent it to me as I LOVED every minute of it!! Nearly every passage had some sort of twists and turns and it kept making me read page after page (seriously I sometimes stayed up until 5 in the morning just so I could still read on). Let’s just say it left me thirsty to read the second book and absolutely crazy try to find (if that can be possible) all the delicious secrets that has been plunged into poor old Rain’s new and highly complex life. It definitely was not a usual kidnapping story!

I loved the main character Rain. It was a character that you could really sympathise with and my heart went out to her on more than a couple of occasions.  You could feel her frustration and confusion whenever she stumbles upon yet another secret. She’s just so tiny that I just wanted to protect her (does that sound weird?).



Another two characters that I loved was of course the dark and devilishly handsome River Scott. At first he wasn’t warming up to me, but as soon as he was teasing Rain about her possible crush on him, I started to get all tingling every time his name appeared on the page. 

However, it was his secret (yes another one) that kept me wanting to know more about River; why he hated the Von Sheldons and why he was just so angry all the time and if his father actually did really kill himself or was actually murdered? So much mystery argh!!!!


But of course, every reader would have to like Sawyer....or should I say Tom. He is just sooo loveable and I loved the way he treated Rain buttttt (no spoilers) we know that Rain and Sawyer can’t be together!! Why oh why, did  Jade have to do that? I was really rooting for them two. My heart literally broke when Jade described the crushed look the Sawyer had when he found out that they can’t be together!

Other than River and Sawyer, Rain has another romantic interest in the book (I mean it isn’t a YA book if there isn’t some sort of romance and man, she’s on fire in that department). It did keep me guessing who she might actually end up with!



The plot itself was utterly gripping. There’s a lot of mystery at every turn and when Rain thinks she’s found at least the majority of the truth about why she was kidnapped (or so she thinks) all it actually does is conjure up another mystery.  

I found Jade’s writing utterly compelling. She knew where to add another juicy secret at the right moment. I found myself loving Rain’s narrative flash backs from past to present and it actually made me take a note of all the things that Jade would have to reveal and give answer to the readers. The only thing that I would like to have seen in this book is a bit more description into the thoughts and feelings whenever Rain comes to contact with her ever increasing love interests.  

Of course, the book leaves you on a cliff hanger but I have my suspicions of who could be the murder in this book, although I’m not giving anything away. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone and cannot wait to read 'The Tower' which is the second book in the 'Deck of Lies' series. 


Book Trailer:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...